Colder days are just around the corner, and when it comes to comforting dishes designed to sustain you during the fall and winter months, jambalaya is a great pick. This recipe for New Orleans-Style Jambalaya is cost-efficient, hearty, and comes together in approximately 30 minutes. Not to mention, it’s packed with so much flavor, you’ll swear you’ve ordered it from a famous New Orleans restaurant! Try this recipe for yourself, and you’ll soon fall in love with this quick and easy rice-based dish.
• 2 1/2 cups water
• 1 (14-oz) can diced tomatoes
• 1 (8-oz) can tomato sauce
• 1/2 lb. smoked sausage, fully cooked, cut into 1/4-inch slices
• 1/2 to 3/4 lb. medium fresh shrimp, peeled and deveined
• 1 cup long grain rice
• 3 tablespoons dried minced onion
• 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
• 1 tablespoon beef bouillon granules
• 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
• 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
• 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
• 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 1 bay leaf
1. First, prepare your seasoning mix. In a small bowl, combine rice, onion, parsley, beef bouillon, thyme, garlic powder, black pepper, cayenne pepper, salt, and bay leaf. Set aside.
2. In a Dutch oven, combine mix, water, tomatoes, tomato sauce, and smoked sausage.
3. Bring mixture to a boil over medium-high heat. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 20 minutes.
4. Add shrimp and cook for an additional 5 to 7 minutes, or until shrimp are pink.
5. Serve immediately, as-is, or topped with hot sauce and/or green onions.
There’s nothing like expanding your meal plan with a new recipe! Domain City Center Apartments in Lenexa, Kansas is proud to introduce you to new meal ideas that will keep your family and friends coming back for more.