On the hunt for a new favorite recipe to add to your list of staples? The team at Domain City Center Apartments in Lenexa, Kansas encourages you to try your hand at this delicious option.
Searching for a delicious option this morning? Well, we are firm believers in that certain mornings call for a decadent breakfast. If you’ve been searching high and low for the perfect recipe, look no further than this one for Strawberries and Cream Stuffed French Toast. Made with fresh berries, soft cream cheese, lemon zest, and brown sugar, this is one breakfast recipe that is worth waking up for. Check out the ingredients and directions below to get started!
For the French Toast
- 1 loaf Texas Toast or any thick bread, approximately 8-10 slices
- (1) 8-ounce package cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup strawberry jam
- 2/3 cup strawberries, sliced into small pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon zest
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 5 tablespoons butter for pan
- Fresh berries (blueberries, blackberries and/or strawberries)
- Powdered sugar
- Real maple syrup
- Fresh whipped cream
- In a small bowl, beat together cream cheese, jam, and lemon zest. Fold in fresh strawberries. Spoon mixture on piece of bread and top with another piece of bread.
- In a shallow dish, whisk together milk, eggs, vanilla, and brown sugar.
- Heat skillet on medium low heat and add 1 tablespoon of butter per French toast.
- Working in batches, dip each piece of French toast into custard batter. Let each side soak for about 10 seconds. Add the soaked slices to the sizzling butter in the skillet.
- Cook until golden brown – about 4 minutes per side.
- Serve with fresh berries, powdered sugar, whipped cream, and real maple syrup.